Design the Web
Introduction to Web Design is a comprehensive introduction to building websites. Topics include logical design principles, visual design principles, usability, accessibility, web file management, FTP, HTML5, CSS3, responsive design, front-end frameworks, WordPress, and commercial web hosts and services.
Weekly assignments keep you on track; 24/7 access gives you the flexibility to work at your own pace between deadlines. The course fee includes course access for the duration of the session.
Level: Beginners with basic computer literacy
Duration: 15 week session (Fall and Spring), 13 week session (Summer)
Time Investment: 4-8 hours a week depending on computer skill level
Format: 24/7 access with weekly deliverables
Course breakdown: 13 Lessons, 13 Assignments, 12 Quizzes, 2 Exams – view the full Course Outline
Requirements: Web Hosting Account & Domain; instructor will guide students when they reach that section in the course.
- a primary lesson topic which is skills-based and taught over several short (4-8 minute) video tutorials
- an assignment which is a web page or web site published on the web for grading
- a “Designer’s Lounge” exercise that teaches web design principles
- a “tidbit” or mini lesson that shows a quick and easy skill or resource
- a quiz which covers the main topics in the lesson
Kyle Gower-Winter is a development manager at a high-growth startup in Wilmington, NC. Kyle is responsible for managing several teams, and individuals, in an agile Scrum development shop. Prior to moving to Wilmington, Kyle was a full time instructor for the FSU Program in Interdisciplinary Computing, and the associate director of custom development at FSU, respectively. Regardless of the position Kyle has always kept one foot in the classroom and has taught numerous courses for FSU ranging from Object-Oriented Programming with Java, to Excel Spreadsheet, Intro to Web Design, and Mobile App Development. Kyle is also a published Lynda.com and Sitepoint.com author.
Call to obtain Discount Codes (850) 644-7545. Discount codes MUST be used during the registration process and cannot be applied after the registration is submitted, no exceptions.
FSU Alumni – 10%
All active/inactive Military – 10%
FSU Alumni Association Members – 15%
NEW! FSU Employee Discount – 10%
Students will not be able to work through the coursework on a tablet computer.
Minimum Skills Requirements
Basic computer literacy including:
- the ability to navigate an operating system (launching software and managing system settings)
- the ability to organize files and folders on a computer
- the ability to download and install software
- the ability to connect to the Internet and navigate the web using URLs, Web search engines and links
- the ability to use online communication tools including email, chat, discussion boards, social media and video chat
- the ability to send and receive email attachments
- the ability to navigate software including saving files to specific locations, opening files from specific locations, and changing software preferences and settings
Web Hosting Account
Students will learn to publish their websites during the second half of the course. The instructor will guide students when they reach that section in the course. Students planning to take our three-course sequence will also need a web hosting account in the Web Application Development course.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
A functional computer manufactured within the past four years, and a reliable high-speed Internet connection. A webcam is recommended in order to receive instructor assistance.
Minimum Time Requirements
Plan on spending between four to ten hours a week on course work depending on your computer skill level. Students must be able to meet assignment deadlines in order to stay on track and complete the course prior to the end of the semester.
Cancellations within two weeks of the course start date will receive a full refund less $50. Cancellations must be received by email or in writing. After the two-week deadline, no refunds will be issued.
Contact us about the Intro to Web Design course
Upcoming Session Notice
Please use the contact form to let us know if you wish to be contacted when this course is available.