Create and Implement Web Applications
Web Application Development introduces the concepts and technical needs of client and server side technologies for web applications. The course equips students with resources for design, production, and evaluation of web applications and strategies for locating these resources. Students gain hands-on experience in web application production, including: client-side markup and programming, server-side programming for data processing, code versioning, accessing web services, and related authentication techniques.
Pre-requisite: Introduction to Web Design
Level: Basic computer literacy
Duration: 15 week session (Fall and Spring), 13 week session (Summer)
Time Investment: 4-10 hours a week depending on computer skill level
Format: 24/7 access with weekly deliverables
Course breakdown: 9 Lessons, 9 Assignments, 8 Quizzes, 2 Exams – view the full Course Outline
Software: Commercial Web Hosting account & Domain and a Cloud9 account (professional grade coding environment) (see Requirements tab below for more details)
- a primary lesson objective topic which is skills-based and taught over several short video tutorials and interactive exercises
- assignments which will show comprehension of the topics and skills for grading
- an online blog which serves as a resource for communication and critique of work in progress
- a mini lesson that shows a quick and easy skill or resource
- a quiz which covers the main topics in the lesson
Christy Chatmon, Instructor, Program in Interdisciplinary Computing (PIC) at FSU
In her position as a PIC Instructor, Christy is responsible for developing and teaching web application development courses in both the classroom and online. She has fifteen years of teaching experience in the area of computer science. She has taught numerous programming courses during her tenure at both Florida A&M University and currently at FSU, such as Web Application Development, Problem Solving with Object Oriented Programming (Java), Object-Oriented Programming using C++, and Database Management Systems, to name a few.
Call to obtain Discount Codes (850) 644-7545. Discount codes MUST be used during the registration process and cannot be applied after the registration is submitted, no exceptions.
FSU Alumni – 10%
All active/inactive Military – 10%
FSU Alumni Association Members – 15%
NEW! FSU Employee Discount – 10%
Introduction to Web Design
Commercial Web Hosting Account and Domain
You will continue using Siteground which you used in the Introduction to Web Design course.
We will be coding on Cloud9, a professional grade coding environment, so you will need to open up an account. The course will guide you how to do this as we get to that point in the lessons.
ISBN-13: 978-1-305-07844-4, 2015, Cengage Learning
Minimum Skills Requirements
Basic computer literacy including:
- the ability to navigate an operating system (launching software and managing system settings)
- the ability to organize files and folders on a computer
- the ability to download and install software
- the ability to connect to the Internet and navigate the web using URLs, Web search engines, and links
- the ability to use online communication tools including email, chat, discussion boards, social media and video chat
- the ability to send and receive email attachments
- the ability to navigate software including saving files to specific locations, opening files from specific locations, and changing software preferences and settings.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
Administrative access to a functional computer manufactured within the past four years, and a reliable high-speed Internet connection. A webcam is recommended in order to receive instructor assistance. You will also need a functional email address to correspond w/the instructor.
Minimum Time Requirements
Plan on spending between four to ten hours a week on course work depending on your computer skill level. Students must be able to meet assignment deadlines in order to stay on track and complete the course prior to the end of the semester.
Cancellations within two weeks of the course start date will receive a full refund less $50. Cancellations must be received by email or in writing. After the two-week deadline, no refunds will be issued.
For more information about this class, please contact Catia Carballo at (850) 644-7545 or use the contact form below.