Design the Web
Introduction to Web Design is a comprehensive introduction to building websites. Topics include logical design principles, visual design principles, usability, accessibility, web file management, FTP, HTML5, CSS3, responsive design, front-end frameworks, WordPress, and commercial web hosts and services.
Weekly assignments keep you on track; 24/7 access gives you the flexibility to work at your own pace between deadlines. The course fee includes course access for the duration of the session.
Level: Beginners with basic computer literacy
Duration: 15 week session (Fall and Spring), 13 week session (Summer)
Time Investment: 4-8 hours a week depending on computer skill level
Format: 24/7 access with weekly deliverables
Course breakdown: 13 Lessons, 13 Assignments, 12 Quizzes, 2 Exams – view the full Course Outline
Requirements: Web Hosting Account & Domain; instructor will guide students when they reach that section in the course.
- a primary lesson topic which is skills-based and taught over several short (4-8 minute) video tutorials
- an assignment which is a web page or web site published on the web for grading
- a “Designer’s Lounge” exercise that teaches web design principles
- a “tidbit” or mini lesson that shows a quick and easy skill or resource
- a quiz which covers the main topics in the lesson
Ken Baldauf, Director of FSU’s Innovation Hub
In his position as Innovation Hub Director, Ken is responsible for providing education and resources in the areas of technology, design, and innovation to students from a wide range of disciplines using new and effective teaching methods. Ken has been on the FSU faculty since 1997, is a published author in the field of computing technologies with eight successful textbooks under his belt, and travels the country teaching teachers about technology, design and innovation.
Call to obtain Discount Codes (850) 644-7545. Discount codes MUST be used during the registration process and cannot be applied after the registration is submitted, no exceptions.
FSU Alumni – 10%
All active/inactive Military – 10%
FSU Alumni Association Members – 15%
NEW! FSU Employee Discount – 10%
Notebook or Desktop Computer
Students will not be able to work through the coursework on a tablet computer.
Minimum Skills Requirements
Basic computer literacy including:
- the ability to navigate an operating system (launching software and managing system settings)
- the ability to organize files and folders on a computer
- the ability to download and install software
- the ability to connect to the Internet and navigate the web using URLs, Web search engines and links
- the ability to use online communication tools including email, chat, discussion boards, social media and video chat
- the ability to send and receive email attachments
- the ability to navigate software including saving files to specific locations, opening files from specific locations, and changing software preferences and settings
Web Hosting Account
Students will learn to publish their websites during the second half of the course. The instructor will guide students when they reach that section in the course. Students planning to take our three-course sequence will also need a web hosting account in the Web Application Development course.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
A functional computer manufactured within the past four years, and a reliable high-speed Internet connection. A webcam is recommended in order to receive instructor assistance.
Minimum Time Requirements
Plan on spending between four to ten hours a week on course work depending on your computer skill level. Students must be able to meet assignment deadlines in order to stay on track and complete the course prior to the end of the semester.
Cancellations within two weeks of the course start date will receive a full refund less $50. Cancellations must be received by email or in writing. After the two-week deadline, no refunds will be issued.
For more information about this class, please contact Catia Carballo at (850) 644-7545 or use the contact form below.
Contact the FSU Web Design and Development Certification Program
Upcoming Session Notice
Summer 2018: Not Available
Course will resume Fall 2018
The course offered thorough explanations and excellent videos that were very helpful. Overall great experience.