Create Digital Graphics
Introduction to Digital Graphic Design is intended for students interested in learning how to create and edit well designed graphics for professional use. Topics include fundamental 2D layout principles, developing vector and pixel based images for print and web, color theory, typography, graphic file formats and resolution. Weekly assignments keep you on track; 24/7 access gives you the flexibility to work at your own pace between deadlines. The course fee includes course access for the duration of the session.
Level: Beginners with basic computer literacy
Duration: 15 week session (Fall and Spring), 13 week session (Summer)
Time Investment: 4-10 hours a week depending on computer skill level
Format: 24/7 access with weekly deliverables
Course breakdown: 12 Lessons, 12 Assignments, 12 Quizzes, 2 Exams – view the full Course Outline
Required Software: Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop (see Requirements tab below for more details)
- a primary lesson objective topic which is skills-based and taught over several short video tutorials
- assignments which will show comprehension of the topics and skills for grading
- an online blog which serves as a resource for communication and critique of work in progress
- a mini lesson that shows a quick and easy skill or resource
- a quiz which covers the main topics in the lesson
Ron Fowler, Adjunct Instructor, College of Fine Arts at FSU
In his position as PIC Instructor, Ron is responsible for developing and teaching digital graphic design courses in both the classroom and online courses. He is a full time graphic designer with over 30 years of experience in graphic design, photography, animation, and web development.
Call to obtain Discount Codes (850) 644-7545. Discount codes MUST be used during the registration process and cannot be applied after the registration is submitted, no exceptions.
FSU Alumni – 10%
All active/inactive Military – 10%
FSU Alumni Association Members – 15%
NEW! FSU Employee Discount – 10%
Laptop or Desktop Computer
Students will not be able to work through the coursework on a tablet computer.
In order to take this course you need to have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. The software is not provided for you. The course is based on Creative Suite 6 (CS6) versions, however earlier versions (we recommend CS5 or later) will suffice and you can most certainly use the latest versions available through Adobe Creative Cloud.
Minimum Skills Requirements
Basic computer literacy including:
- the ability to navigate an operating system (launching software and managing system settings)
- the ability to organize files and folders on a computer
- the ability to download and install software
- the ability to connect to the Internet and navigate the web using URLs, Web search engines and links
- the ability to use online communication tools including email, chat, discussion boards, social media and video chat
- the ability to send and receive email attachments
- the ability to navigate software including saving files to specific locations, opening files from specific locations, and changing software preferences and settings
Minimum Hardware Requirements
A functional computer manufactured within the past four years, and a reliable high-speed Internet connection. A webcam is recommended in order to receive instructor assistance. You will also need a functional email address to correspond w/the instructor.
Minimum Time Requirements
Plan on spending between four to ten hours a week on course work depending on your computer skill level. Students must be able to meet assignment deadlines in order to stay on track and complete the course prior to the end of the semester.
Cancellations within two weeks of the course start date will receive a full refund less $50. Cancellations must be received by email or in writing. After the two-week deadline, no refunds will be issued.
For more information about this class, please contact Catia Carballo at (850) 644-7545 or use the contact form below.